Friday, February 4, 2011

The Most Costly Investment

It's the end of snow day number two of the school year. Fridays are pretty quick and painless so my team and I were hoping we would be able to power through and not miss another day we would need to make up later. No such luck but considering the roads were in pretty bad shape this morning it's a good thing. I know when I got up to find out the final call I was glad to stay in bed and not be getting ready and out of the house. Not to mention that every holiday or day off Kathie Lee and Hoda unintentionally try to convince me to quit my job so I can spend every morning with them. If they only knew.

When I finally made it out of bed I decided to make my day productive. I hadn't done any laundry in I'm not even going to say how many weeks days and my closet door had reached the point of not closing because of the junk, so I got busy. I ended up with a trash bag full of shoes and things to take to Goodwill and another bag or two that size of trash. I arranged everything to fit and it is much better. Little projects like that make me not dread the fact that I'll probably be moving this summer. Usually when I move I'm doing the cleaning out as I'm packing which doubles the work and stress.

After lunch I wanted to head out to my parents house but wasn't sure of how the roads would be out their way so I waited until Dad got off of work and followed him out. Mom and I have both been nursing sinus infections this week so we took our dose of antibiotic and nose spray and have been watching tv with the vaporizer. We're currently watching Alaska Gold Rush with Dad. I've been out here for a few Friday nights lately and we've been following these guys who basically risked every dollar they have and moved to Alaska with old, rusty, second hand equipment to hit the big time. You can probably see where this is going if you've ever watched a reality show. Some of them don't get along, everything breaks and goes wrong and of course they are far from millionaires. Apparently my grandpa has been watching too and Dad said that this might be Paw's last episode. He told Dad this week in his most serious and determined tone (and my version omits some choice words) that if they don't find some gold this week, he's done! It seems as if there is someone as invested as the miners in the hunt for gold. That is of course if you really can invest in a gold mine from your recliner in Waskom, TX with your tv volume set on 60. I think we can all safely say that emotional investment is much more costly than any money you can pour into a shaker pan and sifter.

2 comments:

  1. I followed your other blog and saw you moved over here, so I followed over here. Also, saw you were from Marshall. I'm in Longview. Small world!

    ReplyDelete